Sunday, 28 February 2016

Reaper Miniatures Dwarfs

For a while I have been thinking of starting a band of Dwarfs to use with rule sets such as Frostgrave, Dragon Rampant and Song of Blade and Hero. Reaper do some lovely figures and I've been buying some, on and off, for a year or so now. This week I decided to treat myself and allow some of them to jump the paint queue.


 
















 

Still not quite mastered the new camera. I think I know why these came out a bit over exposed.

I hope to do another batch in a week or two. First, I need to finish some other things, like the Piggies!

Friday, 19 February 2016

15mm PSC T-34

I don't normally dabble in the smaller scales, but I found a box of Plastic Soldier Company 15mm T-34s that I had long forgotten about. Still a WIP with some more weathering to do yet. Photographed against a cm grid.


Sunday, 14 February 2016

Frostgrave

This weekend I have finished a commission to paint a number of Frostgrave figures. I think they came out OK.








They come in blister packs of two, here is a closer look at each of them.


First up, Sigilist and Aprpentice .....













Thief and Barbarian .....













Small and Medium Constructs .....








Enchanter and Apprentice ....








Tracker and War Hound .....








Imp and Minor Demon .....








Necromancer and Apprentice ....








Ice Toad and Snow Leopard .....





Tuesday, 9 February 2016

1/72nd Soviet T-70 tank

Back in the autumn of 2014 I posted pictures of this T-70 (Plastic Soldier Company model) on my Facebook page. In recent days there has been some renewed interest in it and one viewer (hi George!) has asked me how I went about it. I've not got a great memory, but fortunately I made some brief notes.




I assembled it straight from the box except I replaced the gun barrel with a brass one from RB Models of Poland. I don't know where I got the crates that I added as stowage.





It was primed grey, using a rattle can, and then airbrushed with Tamiya Dark Green (XF61). I then did some modulation with, first, Lifecolor Russian Green (UA248) and then with Lifecolor Light Khaki (UA240).

 

I probably then gave it a coat of Klear and added the decals. Next came the first filter, made from Humbrol US Light Green (117) using enamel thinners. The second filter was made with Humbrol Brown (186).

The chipping was done using a piece of sponge and Vallejo Model Color German Camo Black Brown (70.822). Less is more! I probably painted the details at this point. I would have used various Vallejo orangey browns, well thinned, for the rust. It looks like I gave the wheels and tracks a heavy dry-brush with something similar, maybe VMC Flat Earth. I do know that the wooden crates were done with the Wargames Foundry Buff Leather triad.



Next, I probably did the pin wash, which I would have made from artist's Burnt Umber oil paint and enamel thinners. The highlight looks to have been VMC Iraqi Sand. Last would have been a matt varnish.

Hope this helps.